1. EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC CAREER
1990 – Degree in Mechanical Engineering– Brescia University
1996 - Ph.D. in Sanitary-Environmental Engineering, technical University of Milan.
1996-1997 - Post-doctoral fellow at Brescia Univ. and at Institut für Thermische Verfahrenstechnik, Clausthal Univ. (D)
1998 – Assistant Professor in Sanitary Engineering at Brescia Univ.
2001 - Associate Professor in Sanitary and Environmental Engineering at Brescia Univ.
2005 - Full Professor in Sanitary and Environmental Engineering at Brescia Univ.
2016 -2020 - President of the Didactic Council of the Bachelor and Master courses in Civil and Environmental Engineering
2020 – Head of the Department of Department of Civil, Environmental, Architectural Engineering and Mathematics
2. PRIZES AND AWARDS
2020 – Most downloaded paper: M.C. Collivignarelli et al. (2020): “SARS-CoV-2 in sewer systems and connected facilities” - Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 143, 196-203
2020 – Invitation to take part in the pool of EU Experts for the revision of the Wastewater Directive 271/91/EEC
2019 – Award from Milanodepur for results of research activities at the Milano Nosedo WWTP
2015 – Two publications ranked as excellent in the VQR 2011-2014 Ministerial Assessment
2017 – Citation of the paper in the MBR site: G. Bertanza et al. (2017): “A comparison between two full-scale MBR and CAS municipal wastewater treatment plants: techno-economic-environmental assessment” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(21), 17383-17393
2017 – Citation on Science for Environment Policy, a news service published by the European Commission's Environment Directorate-General, of the paper: M. Papa et al. (2017): “How far are we from closing the loop of sewage resource recovery? A real picture of municipal wastewater treatment plants in Italy”. Journal of Environmental Management, 198, 9-15
2016 – Acceptance of European patent - number 1598712
2015 – Acceptance of International patent - number: WO 2011/089501
2013 – Citation of the paper in the National Institute of Health area on Endocrine Disruptors: G. Bertanza et al. (2013). EDCs, estrogenicity and genotoxicity reduction in a mixed (domestic + textile) secondary effluent by means of ozonation: a full-scale experience. Science of the Total Environment, 458-460, 160-168
2012 – Best platform presentation in the session “Emerging contaminants” of the paper: Papa M. et al. (2012). “The role of bioassays in the assessment of ozonation suitability for the removal of EDCs from wastewater”. Proceedings of ECOSTP, IWA International Conference “Ecotechnologies for Wastewater Treatment. Technical, Environmental and Economic Challenges. 25-27 June 2012, Santiago de Compostela, Spain. ISBN 978-84-695-3605-6
2011 - Citation of the paper in the National Institute of Health area on Endocrine Disruptors: G. Bertanza et al. (2011): “Effect of biological and chemical oxidation on the removal of estrogenic compounds (NP and BPA) from wastewater: An integrated assessment procedure” – Water Research, 45, 2473 – 2484
2010 - Citation of the paper in the National Institute of Health area on Endocrine Disruptors: G. Bertanza et al. (2010): “Removal of endocrine disrupting compounds from wastewater treatment plant effluents by means of advanced oxidation” – Water Science and Technology, 61.7, 1663-1671
2001 – Award “L. Bozzini” as the best Italian presentation at International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium 2001: G. Bertanza, S. Cavallari, C. Collivignarelli, P. Avanzi (2001): “Characterization of waste extracted from MSW landfills: correlation between waste stabilization and characteristics of landfill emissions” – Proceedings of “Sardinia 2001”, Eight International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, ed. by T.H. Christensen, R. Cossu, R. Stegman; S. Margherita di Pula (CA), 1-5 October, I, 179-188.
3. OTHER RECOGNITIONS: ORGANIZATION OF SEMINARS, CONFERENCES AND EDITORS
2008 on - Associate Editor of the International Journal “Water Science and Technology” (IWA Publishing); from August 2020 Editor and member of the Editorial board
2020 on – member of the Editorial board (section “Energy and Environment”) of the Internationa Journal Energies (MDPI)
2015 – Guest Editor of the special Issue 4 (2015), vol. 71 of Water Science and Technology. “Full Scale Investigations of the Applications of New Developments in Wastewater and Water Supply Technologies”
2020 - Co-Guest Editor of the special issue “Water Reuse and Environmental Sustainability” of the Journal Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050)
2020 - Guest Editor of the Special Issue "Wastewater Treatment and Environmental Footprint Assessment" of the Journal Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050)
2008 on - Secretary, of the Specialist Group “Advanced Oxidation Processes” of IWA (International Water Association)
2003 on – member of International Programme, Technical or Scientific Committee of international conferences:
- “Third IWA International Conference on Oxidation Technologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment”, Goslar (D), 18 - 22 May 2003
- “Fourth IWA Specialist Conference on Oxidation Technologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment”, Goslar (D), 15 - 17 May 2006
- “IWA World Water Congress & Exhibition”, Beijing, 10-14 September 2006
- “IWA World Water Congress & Exhibition”, Vienna, 7-12 September 2008
- “Fifth IWA Specialist Conference on Oxidation Technologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment”, Berlin (D), 30 March- 1 April 2009
- International Workshop “Application of redox technologies in the environment”, ARTE09 (Istanbul, 2009)
- “4th International Conference on Recycling and Reuse (R&R 2018)” 24-26 October 2018, Istanbul
- WPMC 2019 2nd International Conference on Water Problems in the Mediterranean Countries. Near East University Nicosia. Cyprus, 6-10 May 2019. (http://wpmc2019.con.neu.edu.tr/committees/)
- ESS 2019 2nd International Conference on the Environment Survival and Sustainability. Near East University Nicosia. Cyprus, 7-11 October 2019. (http://ess2019.con.neu.edu.tr/)
- 17th International Conference on Chemistry and the Environment, 16-20 June 2019, Thessaloniki, Greece
- ECOMONDO, from 2019 on
- 5th IWA International Conference on Ecotechnologies for wastewater treatment, Milan, Italy, June 21-25, 2021
- 3rd WEN (WaterEnergyNEXUS conference), 2-4 December 2020 (online)
- SIDISA 2020, XI International Symposium on environmental engineering, Turin (Italy), postponed to June 29th – July 2nd 2021
2014- Invited as speaker at the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden. 4 September 2014. Topic “Mass and energy balances and technical-economic evaluation of wastewater treatment and sludge management”.
2016 - Invited at the Chalmers University of Technology (Göteborg, Svezia) 24-26 February 2016, within a frame of scientific cooperation.
4. LIST OF PROJECTS WITH PARTICIPATION AS PI OR MEMBER
- Responsible for Brescia University Research Unit. “CRAFT” program. “Innovative Wastewater Treatment Applications for Isolated Locations”, Closed in 2006.
- Responsible for Brescia University Research Unit. (2007-2008). Bilateral funding program Italy-Germany “Programma Vigoni”. “Micropollutants in Water: Presence, Removal and Modelling”
- Responsible for Brescia University Research Unit. PRIN 2009 (closed in 2013). “Rimozione di microinquinanti dalle acque di scarico mediante trattamenti convenzionali e avanzati”.
- Responsible for Brescia University Research Unit. UE project, 7th frameshift program, “ROUTES: Novel Processing Routes for Effective Sewage Sludge Management”, (2011-2013).
- COST Action “Water_2020 Conceiving wastewater treatment in 2020: Energetic, environmental and economic challenges”, 2013-2016, Action ES1202 (http://www.water2020.eu/).
- Responsible for his Department in the project “Brescia Smart Living: Energie e servizi integrati per la valorizzazione del benessere”, financed by MIUR, 2015 -2018.
- Responsible for Brescia University Research Unit in the project “SWARM-net (Smart Water Resource Management – Networks)”, financed by MIUR, started in 2016, still ongoing.
- PI of the project “WAT_CHALLENGE: The water challenge: smart models, tools and methods for assessing environmental suitability and effects of green technologies on human health”, financed by University of Brescia within the call Health & Wealth 2015. 2016 - 2019.
- PI of the project “SMART_WAT: Smart drinking- and waste-water treatment strategies for the protection and exploitation of natural water reservoirs”, financed by University of Brescia within the call B+LabNet. 2017 - 2019.
- Member in the project “CREIAMO - Circular economy in olive oil and wine sectors. Valorization of by-products and residues through innovative processes and new business models”, financed by Fondazione Cariplo (2019 –2021).
- Member of the project “BIOMetAno per una Società Sostenibile: sviluppo di un Laboratorio Italiano di Circular Economy dal bio-metano –BIOMASS HUB” financed by Regione Lombardia (Programma Operativo Regionale 2014-2020; Azione I.1.b.1.3 - Sostegno alle attività collaborative di R&S per lo sviluppo di nuove tecnologie sostenibili, di nuovi prodotti e servizi, CALL HUB RICERCA E INNOVAZIONE). Started in 2019.
- PI of the project “Sludge (and other residues) recovery in agriculture: environment and health protection (SLURP)” financed by Fondazione Cariplo, within the call “Economia Circolare – 2020” (2021-2024).